News Return To All News
Composers of any age are invited to submit an original carol for adult SATB choir with or without organ accompaniment, which will be rehearsed and performed by The Bach Choir at its ‘Carols at Cadogan’ concert at London’s Cadogan Hall on 22 December 2017 at 7.30pm.
The competition will be judged by David Hill, Musical Director of The Bach Choir, the Choir’s President, John Rutter, and Sir David’s son, Jonathan Willcocks.
The competition will be judged in two categories:
- Composers aged 18 and under
- Composers aged over 18
The deadline for submissions is Friday 13th October and winners will be announced on Friday 3rd November. The winner in each category will receive a small cash prize, kindly donated by the David Willcocks Music Trust, and up to three complimentary tickets to the Cadogan Hall on Friday 22 December to hear their carol performed by The Bach Choir, conducted by David Hill.
- Composers may use their own or others’ words, but precise details of the source of the text must be provided. Text must be out of copyright.
- Carols submitted should have not received a public performance, and the music must be original (i.e. not an arrangement of existing music)
- The Bach Choir shall have all rights in connection with the first public performance of the prize-winning carol (s), but thereafter the composer shall have all rights in respect of the carol.
- The Bach Choir shall have all rights in connection with the first recording of the prize-winning carol (s), but thereafter the composer shall have all rights in respect of the carol. The exclusivity of this period shall be one year.
- Entries will be judged by David Hill, John Rutter, Jonathan Willcocks and such other person (s) as The Bach Choir may appoint.
- The Panel of judges reserves the right to divide the prize between two or more composers, or withhold the prize if there are no entries of sufficient merit to justify an award being made. The decision of the Panel shall be final and binding.
- Entries should be sent to Nick Cutts, General Manager, The Bach Choir, PO Box 61756, London, SW1H 0UZ. Please don’t include your name on the printed music.
- Each entry should be accompanied by a covering letter, which includes the title of the work, composer’s name, date of birth (if 18 or under) and address.
- Competitors should enclose a stamped, addressed envelope, for return of their scores, if required.